Sunday, February 14, 2016

Project 1: Popups

Before I begin describing what I did for this project, I want to take this opportunity to apologize for the way I whined and cried about the last assignment. the past few... Never mind, I don't want to make more excuses here. Suffice it to say that the way I went about that was wrong, and I feel bad about it. Ok, unpleasantness done. Onward! :)

This project was a lot of fun for me (I actually completed it a few days ago, but forgot to post it. Oops?), and with this one I put in a lot of extras. I'll get to what I did in a few. First, let's look at the image:





The basic (if you can call it that) background scene was a 3D render that I created in Bryce. For the mountains that can be seen through the windows, I used a photo that I took of the Job's Peak area that I can see from my house. The popups are characters from a game that I used to play years ago, and the table on which they sit was something that I created back in the late 90's, when I first got into 3D modeling. The PSD that this image came from contains a total of 10 image layers (though one - a darkness mask - is hidden), with additional adjustment and effects layers, bringing the total to (I think) 13. Each of the popups have two sets of shadows (one from the "sun", and one from the {rather faint} light source from inside the room). I'm actually working on an improved background image that will contain softer shadows from the sun through the windows and better shading from the internal light source. Sadly, Bryce has crashed several times with this new scene, so I'm having to take out one object at a time to find the corrupted object or shader that's causing the problem, and that takes time (the scene takes about an hour for each render, and each removal/replace takes at least a half hour to execute before I can try rendering again, so roughly an hour and a half per attempt is needed, and that adds up), so in order to avoid turning the project in late, I went with this one, for now. If I can get the new scene to render without crashing before the deadline, I'll submit that one, and post the new image.

No comments:

Post a Comment