Monday, March 14, 2016

Week 5 Lesson Review: Image integration

I know, this isn't part of the weekly blog post requirements, but I wanted to share. :P

this assignment entailed integrating 3 images to create "an interesting scene". It was to be submitted as a black and white image, using masks and adjustment layers, and the image that I created for the assignment was just that, but I felt that the greyscale version didn't completely convey the entire aesthetic that I was going for. Thus, this post. Here are the two images; you make the call.



I've been told that black and white imagery often enhances the sense of drama within the subject, but frankly, I don't see that here. To my mind, the life has been sucked out of the greyscale version, and the sceen has become dull and uninteresting, while the color version not only pulses with life, it has a great deal more depth, texture and interest. but that's just me, and I admit to a small amount of bias. :D

3 comments:

  1. Dave,
    It largely depends on how you wish the image to be interpreted. The black and white is certainly more sinister and foreboding while the color one remains interesting but really doesn't awaken the senses or stir any moods other than looking at a composited image.
    The B&W image could also be taken to be more period like... Old time photo kind of appearance.
    Then again I don't recall a train track being that close to the leaning tower of Pisa. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Art. Glad to see you stop by here. Hi to the family, please.

    ReplyDelete